← Busan travel guide
광안리와 광안대교

Gwangalli Beach and Gwangan Bridge

A 7.4-kilometer bridge across the bay — and drones in the sky on Saturday nights

FoundedGwangan Bridge — construction began December 1994, fully opened 6 January 2003🧭 See which way this is

Gwangalli is the Busan beach where the sea and the city skyline share a single frame. Straight out from the sand, the 7.42-kilometer Gwangan Bridge stretches clear across the bay, and after sunset its full length lights up in more than a hundred thousand colors. Every Saturday evening some 1,100 drones rise into the sky above it for a free light show. And the old name of this district — Suyeong, literally 'naval headquarters' — marks the ground where the Joseon navy's eastern command once stood, so the memory of the Imjin War lies beneath one of Korea's most photographed night views.

📖 The Story

Work on Gwangan Bridge began in December 1994; it opened provisionally for the 2002 Busan Asian Games and was fully inaugurated on 6 January 2003. Running from Namcheon-dong across the water to Centum City, it is a 7,420-meter double-deck sea crossing carrying eight lanes of traffic on two levels. People often call it a suspension bridge, but strictly speaking only the 900-meter central span hangs from cables between towers — the rest is a long run of truss and deck spans over the sea. At night, lighting capable of more than a hundred thousand colors washes the entire structure, which is how it earned its English nickname, the Diamond Bridge (its official English name is simply Gwangan Bridge).

The district that holds both the bridge and the beach is called Suyeong-gu. 'Suyeong' is a contraction of sugun jeoldosa-yeong — the headquarters of a naval commander — meaning this was the seat of a Joseon naval command. Joseon divided the waters off Gyeongsang Province into a Left and a Right Naval Command, and from 1652 onward, through the rest of the Joseon period, the main base of the Gyeongsang Left Naval Command, which guarded the seas off Busan, stood here. Today the streets are lined with apartments and cafés, but the place name itself survives as a trace of that naval garrison.

When the Imjin War broke out in 1592, Bak Hong, commander of the Gyeongsang Left Naval Command, abandoned the fortress and fled. What remained were twenty-five men — sailors and townspeople — who went on fighting along this shore for the seven years of the war. In 1609 the magistrate of Dongnae, Yi An-nul, heard their story and honored them with two characters, uiyong, meaning 'righteous courage'; in 1853 a shrine, the Uiyongdan, was raised in their memory. The Shrine of the Twenty-Five Uiyong was designated a Busan Monument in 1972 and stands today inside Suyeong Historic Park, laid out in 1995, alongside the remains of the naval fortress and its south gate. In the park a black pine (Natural Monument No. 270) and a muku tree (No. 311) have stood for centuries, and there is also a shrine to An Yong-bok, who defended Ulleungdo and Dokdo.

Highlights

📷 Mobius6, CC BY-SA 4.0

🚶 Self-Guided Walk

  1. 1Geumnyeonsan Station, Exit 3
    The closest subway exit to the sand on Line 2. Walk down the side streets for about five minutes and the sea opens up between the buildings.
    💡 The name tempts you toward Gwangan Station, but Geumnyeonsan is the closer stop for the beach.
  2. 2Gwangalli Beach
    Face the water and the bridge cuts straight across the horizon. The best walk is a slow one from the western end eastward, watching the angle of the span change as you go.
    💡 To fit the whole bridge in one frame, walk down to the waterline around the middle of the beach.
  3. 3Millak Waterfront Park
    A deck park on the water at the eastern end of the beach. It faces the bridge head-on and up close — the place to be when the lights come on at dusk.
    💡 Rules on food and alcohol here change from time to time — check the on-site signs.
  4. 4If it's Saturday — the Drone Light Show
    If it is a Saturday evening, stop here and look up: about 1,100 drones rise above the bridge for a twelve-minute performance. It is visible from anywhere on the beach, so there is no need to move.
    💡 Confirm the start time and whether it is running on the official notice page (gwangallimdrone.co.kr) that day.
  5. 5On to Suyeong Historic Park
    One stop on Line 2: from Exit 1 of Suyeong Station it is a short walk to the park holding the ruins of the Gyeongsang Left Naval Command and the shrine of the Twenty-Five Uiyong — a Gwangalli from an entirely different century than the one on the beach.
    💡 If history is your priority, reverse the route: see the historic park in the morning and finish with the beach at sunset.

🧭 Visitor Info

Hours
Beach open at all times; swimming season generally early July to late August (dates vary by year). Drone show twice each Saturday evening (20:00 and 22:00 in summer, March–September; 19:00 and 21:00 in winter).
Closed
Beach and park open year-round (the drone show may be cancelled for weather or scheduling)
Admission
Free — the beach, the drone show, and Suyeong Historic Park
Getting there
~5 min walk from Exit 3 of Geumnyeonsan Stn. (Line 2); Gwangan Stn. Exits 3 and 5 are a 10–15 min walk. Suyeong Historic Park is about 576 m from Exit 1 of Suyeong Stn. (Line 2).
as of 2026-08

💡 Good to Know

🗺 Pair Your Visit

Haeundae BeachAbout 10 min, direct on Line 2
Busan's most famous beach, just across the bridge. The cluster of towers you see beyond the span from Gwangalli is Haeundae's Marine City.
Suyeong Historic ParkOne stop on Line 2 (Suyeong Stn., Exit 1)
The site of the Gyeongsang Left Naval Command, with the fortress's south gate, the shrine of the Twenty-Five Uiyong, and protected old trees — the historical layer beneath Gwangalli.
Jagalchi Market and the Old DowntownBy subway, transferring at Seomyeon
The South Port district where modern Busan accumulated. Jagalchi Market, Gukje Market, and Yongdusan Park are all within walking distance of one another — a very different Busan from the night-view city at Gwangalli.
📚 Exam Points (Korean History Exam)

The place name Suyeong is short for 'naval commander's headquarters' — the main base of Joseon's Gyeongsang Left Naval Command stood here. Together with the story of the Twenty-Five Uiyong, the sailors and townspeople who fought on after their commander abandoned the fortress in the Imjin War of 1592, the site connects to Korean History Exam topics on the Joseon naval command structure and the opening stage of the war.